Tuesday, October 17, 2006

"DIET RAGE"

I’m on a lot of e-mailing lists. I get countless newsletters from who knows where. Most of them I don’t even read. Some of them I vaguely remember signing up for but don’t remember why, and most of the ones I get, I probably did sign up for once-upon-a-time. A lot of them are health-related. Some of them are webmaster-related. Some of them are spam. Once in a while I decide to unsubscribe from a few, but more just seem to creep up from the woodwork. Anyway, one of them actually managed to catch my eye yesterday. The subject of the email was “Do you suffer from diet rage?” I immediately answered “Yep!” in my head. A decade and a half of yo-yo dieting has created what I would call “diet rage”, and I’m beyond frustrated with it. I don’t know how many pounds I have lost and then regained in the past 15 or so years. A lot of that is because I’m an emotional eater and that problem never seems to get solved in any “diets”. I was slim before I got married. But losing a baby in 1989, 3 weeks before I got married is basically where the trouble started, and a cycle began of emotional eating and subsequently the trial and error of many, many different diets and weight loss methods. You name it and I have probably tried it at one time or another. But gradually over time, the older I got, and the more research I did on nutrition and health, the more healthy my attempts became, thankfully.

My cold that I’ve had for over a week now, and the congestion that won’t seem to go away is a stark reminder that I believe I could be healthier if I put my mind to it. I think I take pretty good care of myself, but I know in my heart of hearts that I’m not doing everything that I can. I know I’m not practicing everything that I know about health and nutrition, and what I believe is the best food to put into my body. So, the positive side of being sick is that it’s given me a bit of a kick-in-the-butt, and re-motivated me to be better to myself and believe that I’m worth it. Running has also helped me to feel better about myself, physically and mentally. I think I’m on my way but not where I want to be… YET. :)

No comments: